Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Touch of Yellow

As discussed in my previous post, I am working on turning our old guest room into an office/craft room. I painted the walls a nice neutral grey and I am accenting with yellow and a few pops of pink. I wanted something different for this space so I didn't opt for my usual color scheme of greens and blues...plus I wanted something girly :) But in all fairness to my little boy, his section of the room will be decorated sans pink. And his side does include some blue and green (I guess I couldn't completely do without my favorite hues :) with his table and chairs but I think everything will blend well in the end.

I'm currently working on a credenza makeover that will be my main storage for crafting and office supplies.   And once it's done I will have a better idea of how the rest of the furniture will need to be positioned. I'm crossing my fingers I can get it done towards the end of next week!

I have several small projects to work on for the room and one was...you guessed it, a wreath :) I have this beautiful old window that a friend of mine got from a former co-worker. He had all sorts of sizes of windows and for cheap! I've had this thing forever and the original plan was to place photos behind the panes and use it as a large picture frame.

Sorry for the blurry picture. I cropped a room size photo 
But for now I have decided to hang it between the two windows in the new office and dress it up with a pretty wreath.

I knew I wanted a wreath with yellow flowers and of course any "pre-made" wreaths I found were at least $20. I had a twiggy wreath from Michael's on hand (the ones that are like $4) so I went searching for my flowers. Michael's has their faux blooms on sale right now but they were still a little pricey. So I headed to the Dollar Tree to see what I could find. They had some sweet little yellow flower bundles for $1 (duh) each. I bought ten bundles but ended up using only eight.

Nosy Too checking out the twiggy wreath. I laid it out on a towel to work on since these shed a little bit.


And my bag full of Dollar Tree flower bundles.


They had two shades of yellow, one a little brighter than the other. I liked the brighter ones the best but bought a few of the darker shade just to give it a more natural look.


Up close of the two colors.


I laid out the bundles to see how I wanted to blend the colors and of course Toots had to curl up inside the wreath like it was a little nest made just for him. He was obsessed with this thing. He seemed a little ticked when I made him leave...


All I did was cut the blooms off the bundle, leaving enough stem to poke into the wreath. No glueing needed. Although if this was an outdoor wreath I probably would have used a little bit to help keep it secure and weather resistant.

Here it is on the window! Oh and I got the pink ribbon at the Dollar Tree too! 



The window isn't on the wall yet so I didn't do a full shot. It's leaning up against the wall in the picture but you get the idea. I love it! It's so bright and cheery.


And one more up close. 


I can't wait until this is hanging up on the wall. More to come on the office/craft room soon!

Partying here!





Frugal Friday at
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Your wreath is so very pretty and springy! I just love it. Makes me want to run right over to the Dollar Store and get some too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww! Your cat loves to "help" with your crafts too! And fake flowers are one of my kitty's favorite things to get in to! Very pretty wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad I am not the only one who has a cat that sits in the middle of craft projects!

    I love the wreath - it certainly doesn't look as if it came from the Dollar Store materials.

    http://kidscatsclutterandklutz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. A perfect bit of spring bliss!

    I am having an antique auction on my blog. All sorts of lovely and romantic finds looking for a new home. I hope you'll stop by.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! Perfect for Spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sunny and pretty- a perfect spring touch and it looks so charming against that window! Thanks for sharing at FNF! :)

    ReplyDelete