Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Linen Closet - Organized!

Let me just say that while I love things organized and in their own place, it's something I have to work at, meaning I'm not naturally prone to it. Now I'm not talking about basic cleaning and upkeep of the house. It's more of the inconspicuous things like closets, drawers and cabinets. You know, the stuff no one really sees but you know what's lurking behind those closed doors. I have to stop myself from shoving something into a drawer or cabinet for temporary purposes. Because before I know it, things can start to look like this...



Yep, totally embarrassed. So as to prevent further humiliation, I have decided to get every little space that is not organized whipped into shape. It is such a great feeling to have things nice and organized and I am determined to keep it that way. The first thing I tackled is our linen closet next to our guest bathroom. In case the photo above didn't give you a good view, here are a few more Before photos of the hall junk linen closet.



The first thing I did was pull EVERYTHING out of the closet into the next room to start off with it completely empty. I then sorted through the piles of stuff and started purging. Another confession...it's hard for me to let go of stuff sometimes, even things I never use...I just "might" use one day. I for sure have an inner hoarder that is just dying to be released. I refuse to let it happen though. 

Oh yeah, and that humongous made-for-a-gym-or-huge-house dust mop is outta here! My husband purchased it a long time ago thinking it would be great for doing a quick sweep around the house but storing this monster is too difficult. Not to mention it's hard to maneuver and I much prefer a regular broom. So buh-bye! 

After sorting everything, I calculated how many containers I needed and headed off to Target. Their latest ad listed some cute plastic crates for $3 each - score! I was quickly disappointed when I saw the end cap they were listed at was completely empty :( Back to School College folks apparently stocked up. So I moseyed around the basket section and decided on one $10 canvas tote for my sheets and pillowcases. After venturing to the other end of the store, my wandering eye caught sight of another end cap with 4 of the $3 crates! I took off full speed ahead for fear of someone snatching them from under my nose. I only needed 2 but I seriously contemplated buying all four. See? Hoarder tendencies...

Okay, back to the closet. I used my two crates and organized one with all of my cupcake supplies (I have a small side "business" making mini cupcakes for showers, parties, etc.) and the second crate was used for house maintenance supplies. This includes small tool sets, light bulbs, command hooks and other miscellaneous things. I also used another basket I had on hand to hold linen napkins and some small delicate linens. 

I made a few labels for my new goods and started restocking the closet. I rolled my blankets instead of stacking them and they went back up on the top shelf along with two extra pillows. The next shelf is linens, third is baking supplies and the first-aid kit, and the bottom shelf is house maintenance and paper towels, leaving the very bottom of the closet for my hand-held vacuum and mop and mop bucket.

Here is the much-improved closet space!



And a few of the details...




Curious about the First-Aid kit? I just removed the sticker off the front and used a little of the always-awesome Mod Podge to adhere my label and scrapbook paper matte. Who says a first-aid kit can't be cute? :) :) :)




So there you have it, one horrendous closet revamped into a nice and organized space. I'm loving it! And it only cost me $16 plus tax :) I've got one more awful closet that's going to get revamped soon so stay tuned!

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment