Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Pillow Palooza: Part 1

I'm becoming a little obsessed with making pillows since I have discovered I can actually work my sewing machine. And I am loving it :)

I fell head over heels for this awesome yellow fabric at Hancock's the other day. It has the cutest grey parrots on it. I originally purchased it to make some valances for my office but decided that since we have our house up for sale and the valance would be custom to the window (i.e. won't be able to use at another house) I thought it best to use for some other projects. I know, I know, I just finished some valances for the kitchen. But I heart this fabric so much I wanted to be sure whatever I made could come with me in the event we move. I had also picked up 2 1/2 yards of clearance fabric for a $1 a yard and the combination of the two fabrics was perfect for a lumbar pillow I decided to make for our bed.

I have been eyeing some adorable lumbar pillows on the web so I had to try my hand at one. The comforter set I purchased a few months ago came with two small rectangular decorative pillows (shown above) that I really never liked much. So why not make one long pillow out of the two small ones? Yes, I think I will.

I pretty much guesstimated through the whole process, learning as I went along. First, I removed the pillow covers off the existing rectangular pillows and pushed them together to form my lumbar pillow shape. Then I draped the yellow fabric over the top and measured and pinned about how much fabric I would need to make just the front and sides of my pillow. Remember I was using the grey flower print as the back.

Then I cut along where my pins were and ended up with this.

See, the one on the left is me and the right is the Hubby. Two little lovebirds parrots :)

Okay, enough with the lame cheesiness. Back to business.

I then repeated the same thing for my grey flower print fabric. I purposely cut more of the yellow fabric than the grey but I wanted the edges to show the yellow and the grey only be in the back. Make sense?

After the fabric was cut I pinned the two sides together with the good side of the patterns facing each other. I pinned them with the pillow inserts inside so I could get as accurate of a measurement as possible. Then I slid the inserts back out. 

Disclaimer: This took me a few tries and a few pin pricks to get it right so if you try this yourself, don't get frustrated! It ended up working just fine :)

I sewed the two long ends first and then stuck my inserts back in to make sure they were fitting okay and they did! I sewed one end closed and flipped the whole thing right side out. I ironed it at this point and then stuffed the inserts back in and got the final side ready to sew. Before I did that though I put just a little bit of Poly-fil in the end to give it a little more cushion. Then I tucked in the edges and sewed as neatly as possible on the final side. 

And here it is!!!!

And of course my model had to get a few shots in...

I have more pillows I am making for the bed so hopefully I will have those to show you soon. But before that I have another pillow I just finished for the couch. Can't wait to show you what I made it out of! Pillow Palooza: Part II is next!

Partying Here!

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
The Shabby Nest
Pin It!


  1. Super cute~ love the birds on it!! Thanks for linking up and sharing it at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

  2. Hi! I just discovered your blog. I love the fabric you chose for this pillow. It turned out nice. Your kitty is pretty cute too. I am your newest follower and I would love it if you popped over to my blog and met my kitty and followed me too.

  3. I just LOVE this pillow! You have to look at my blog to see why! (This fabric is very similar to my background and to a valance I made!)

    What a great job!

  4. I love the fabrics you chose! I've been on a pillow sewing spree myself lately. They add such a nice touch to any room!

  5. oh, my goodness...I love it! The colors just "POP"!
    You are very talented!
    Thank you for sharing!